Nutrition is one of the most important aspects of maintaining good health over the years. Choosing what you eat well is essential to doing it in a balanced way, meeting all the nutritional needs of your body without starving yourself and, at the same time, maintaining an appropriate weight for your age and height. On the other hand, in addition to the good selection of recipe ingredients, it is also important to distribute the quantities to consume each food. Depending on what they contribute to the body, you should adjust so that your diet is both healthy and complete. In this sense, the balanced tile method is a good resource to achieve this.
To learn all about dish method, what it is and recipesat oneHOWTO we recommend that you continue reading this article.
What is the plate method?
Wondering what the plate method is? The plate method is a visual tool with which you can eat in a healthy and balanced way. This resource was developed in 2014 by the Harvard University Department of Public Health, based on very recent scientific evidence. This method shows that following a plate diet based on healthy fats, vegetables, protein and whole grains reduces the risk of weight gain and chronic diseases.
In practice, the Harvard healthy plate method consists of share balanced plates of your main mealsso lunch and dinner, as follows:
- Half of the plate (50%) should consist of vegetables, both raw in salads, and fried, boiled or mashed.
- You should fill 25% with foods rich in carbohydrates: grains, such as rice or pasta (preferably whole grains), tubers or legumes.
- In the remaining 25% of the plate you should add protein foods, such as fish, eggs or white meat, as well as vegetarian options (tofu, seitan or tempeh).
The plate method recipe
Are you interested in applying the Harvard plate method to your diet and don’t know how to get started? At oneHOWTO we help you with the following recipes.
Rice with artichokes and cuttlefish
To make this craft, you need approx 1 hour of cooking and the following ingredients:
- Rice (preferably brown).
- Green peas.
- Sliced mushrooms.
- Vegetable soup or water.
- Extra virgin olive oil.
the steps of the preparation:
- Cut the cuttlefish into several circles and after draining and drying them well, fry them in a pan by adding a little olive oil.
- Cut the onion into small pieces and fry together with the cuttlefish rings. When the onion starts to brown, add the diced artichoke along with the sliced mushrooms.
- Add the peas to the sauce.
- Add water or vegetable stock when the vegetables begin to soften.
- At the end, add the rice and let it boil together with the rest of the ingredients. When everything is cooked and the liquid has been absorbed, you can serve it on a plate.
chicken pasta salad
The preparation time for this recipe is also 1 hour circle. of Ingredients needed these are:
- Wheat pasta.
- Cherry tomatoes.
- Extra virgin olive oil.
the steps of Evolving:
- Add the whole wheat pasta to the stew.
- While the pasta is cooking, add a little olive oil to a pan to fry the chicken with cherry tomatoes.
- After cooking, allow the pasta, chicken and cherry tomatoes to cool to room temperature.
- In a bowl, add all the ingredients when they are warm.
- At the end, coat the salad with a little salt and a little olive oil. Mix the dressing with the rest of the ingredients and now you can serve the salad on a plate.
Other recipes for the plate method
there the most interesting recipes with which you can follow the plate method as follows:
- Sweet potato fries with egg and cereal.
- Quinoa wok with prawns.
- Zucchini and tuna cannelloni.
- Textured Soy Stuffed Zucchini.
- Boiled Beans with Rabbit.
- Buckwheat with boiled egg.
- Hack Steamed.
- Fried spinach with bread and egg.
Weekly menu for the plate method
To apply the healthy plate method, we offer you examples for a full weekat OneHOWTO we give you the following weekly menu idea:
- Lunch: Broccoli with onions and fried pumpkin + brown rice side dish and grilled pork.
- Dinner: Kale salad with avocado, cherry tomatoes, fresh cheese, hard-boiled eggs, carrots and toast.
- Lunch: cucumber and tomato salad with fresh basil + rabbit with garlic and parsley and baked potatoes.
- Dinner: grilled eggplant and zucchini + grilled cuttlefish with lemon and garlic and a side of boiled couscous.
- Lunch: stew with vegetables and boiled potatoes + grilled cod with parsley.
- Dinner: coleslaw, a can of tuna and onions with boiled whole grain pasta coils.
- Lunch: spinach salad with red pepper, carrot and radish with boiled wholemeal pasta + grilled tuna with parsley and garlic.
- Dinner: Brussels sprouts and roasted carrots with a fried egg and boiled quinoa.
- Lunch: chicken stew with boiled potatoes and vegetables (green pepper, carrot, onion, natural tomato and zucchini).
- Dinner: potato salad with tomatoes and green pepper + grilled cod with garlic and parsley.
- Lunch: salad with lamb’s lettuce, boiled lentils, roasted cucumber with tomatoes and a grilled beef tenderloin.
- Dinner: Scrambled eggs with shrimp, sautéed mushrooms and onions, spring garlic and toast.
- Lunch: zucchini noodles with carrots and tomatoes + baked chicken with boiled chickpeas.
- Dinner: baked sole with baked potatoes and escalivada.
Now that you know what the healthy plate method is, you should also maintain good habits, so in this OneHOWTO article we teach you how to live a healthy life.
This article is purely informative, at oneHOWTO we do not have the power to prescribe any medical treatment or make any kind of diagnosis. We invite you to go to the doctor in case of appearance of any kind of condition or concern.
If you want to read more articles similar to The plate method: what it is and the recipewe recommend you to enter our “Healthy Living” category.
- Harvard School of Public Health TH Chan (1913). Healthy Food Plate (Spanish – Spain)