The potato is one of the most used ingredients in Spain, as well as being the most nutritious and very healthy. There are many recipes that can be prepared with this food, but we want to show you how you can make one Potato salad in a quick and simple way.
Ingredients for potato salad
The first thing we need to do is prepare the ingredients. Consider them:
- 4 red potatoes
- 3 hard-boiled eggs
- Yellow, red or green bell pepper (or all if you want to mix them)
- Fresh parsley
- spring onions
- Mayonnaise (homemade or store bought)
- Olive oil
- olives if desired
Now that you have the ingredients, let’s prepare the dish.
Step by step to prepare potato salad
The first thing you need to do is wash, peel and cut the potatoes. If you want, you can boil them whole, but this will take longer to cook. It is recommended to cut them slightly thick slices to give a good base to the salad, but you can cut them as you wish. When you have them ready, you set them to boil until they are ready. To make sure they are not overcooked, you can pierce them with a fork: when you see that they are soft and the fork comes out clean, they are ready and it is time to mix them with the other ingredients.
To mix the potatoes well with the rest of the ingredients, you need to put them in a bowl. Then add a little oil, parsley, hard-boiled eggs and any peppers you like. Add the olives and onions as well. and stir well to combine everything. Now add some salt to taste.
When all the ingredients are well mixed, it’s time to add the mayonnaise. You can add as much as you want, but make sure it mixes well with the rest of the salad. And you’re done.
As you can see, the preparation of this dish is very simple and does not take much time. Also, you can add the ingredients you want and, in this way, personalize your potato salad.
How to make homemade mayonnaise?
As you have seen, potato salad is prepared with mayonnaise, which is ultimately what brings all the ingredients together. If you want your salad to be super homemade, try making your own mayonnaise. You will see that it tastes much better, because your mayonnaise will not have additives or colors. Want to know how to prepare it? we tell you.
Ingredients to prepare homemade mayonnaise
The ingredients you will need to prepare homemade mayonnaise is as follows:
- 1 glass of oil (better if it is olive).
- 1 tablespoon of vinegar (if you prefer you can also use lemon juice).
- 1 egg.
- 1 pinch of salt
Now that you probably have the ingredients ready, let’s see how to make the mayonnaise.
To begin, crack the egg into the mixing bowl, making sure no part of the shell falls out. Then add the vinegar, salt and a good amount of oil. And, now, it’s time to beat, but you have to do it very carefully or it won’t be good for you. The best you can do is very slowly insert the mixer into the mixing bowl and hold it still without moving it. Turn it on very low speed and let everything mix little by little. When you see that the mass has already taken shape, you can start making small movements with the mixer until you end up seeing a homogeneous mixture. And, now you just need to take the blender out of the glass little by little and put the mayonnaise in a bowl.
As you can see, making your own mayonnaise is also very simple, so you will be able to prepare it while preparing the salad. Of course, do not forget that mayonnaise is very delicate, so you should consume it practically at the moment.
The benefits of potatoes
Now that you know how to make a good potato salad with homemade mayonnaise, you may want to know why it is so important to include potatoes in our diet. We talk about the benefits of potatoes for your health:
- Great contribution of B vitamins: B vitamins are essential for creating new cells and new tissue. In addition, it improves the functioning of the nervous system and regulates mood. In addition, it is also rich in folic acid and minerals, such as potassium and, to a lesser extent, iron and magnesium.
- Eases gastrointestinal problems: It is an easy food to digest, so whether we prepare it cooked, boiled or steamed, it is ideal in cases of gastroenteritis, fever conditions and when acetone increases.
- Check sugar and fat: It has been shown that, contrary to what was thought, potatoes are not fattening as long as they are consumed in moderation.
- fights oxidation and prevents various types of cancer thanks to the phenolic compounds it contains.
- Improves the immune system being rich in substances such as quercetin, carotenoids, chlorogenic acid and caffeic acids.
As you can see, the potato is a food that is as tasty as it is healthy and you can prepare it in different ways. We have shown you how to make a salad with it, but you can also get it in the form of an omelette, baked or baked with fish, among other things.